The Haus zum Löwensteig is located in the heart of Zurich, directly behind the National Bank. Built in 1885, the building is considered a pioneer for concrete buildings in Zurich.
In close cooperation with the institute for building preservation, MACH developed a new circulation concept for the office renovation. Exactly where the original staircase was located, a breakthrough was made to connect the two office floors and achieve a dynamic exchange between the employees.
The first floor, belonging to the basement, was originally used as a warehouse for building materials. After 1965, the more representative second floor even housed the architecture office of Häfeli Moser Steiger Architects. Accordingly, the functions were distributed in the current layout. The first floor was freed from previously added partitions and returned to the layout of the original storage room. Here a loft-like studio was created for creative interaction with the projects. On the second floor are the communicative meeting rooms as well as a large, multifunctional meeting room for customers and employees with its own bar and coffee area, which can be converted into a small auditorium.
All floors that did not have parquet flooring were exposed except for the cement layer. On the one hand, this thematizes the original concrete floors, on the other hand, it also creates a certain unfinished loft and workshop character. It evokes the feeling of a place where something new is being created. As a counterbalance to the unfinished floor, the existing architecture was supplemented with high-quality, tailor-made walnut furniture and natural stone covers. A mixture between historical elements and a distinct, connecting style of built-in furniture emerges, which combines new and old.
Design, Design Development
Punkt S, Zurich
De Vries Engineering, Zurich